The hybrid Bar & Kitchen Staff position supports the full scope of our food and beverage program, with an emphasis on a small curated food menu and an extensive world class cocktail menu. Primary function is to provide general and various support to the bartenders, kitchen lead, Bar Manager and all other Front of House staff to ensure a great customer experience.
Founded by a beekeeper, Caledonia Spirits was built on a vision to connect cocktail culture to agriculture. We are passionate about the spirits we produce, including Barr Hill Gin, America’s Most Awarded Gin. Our work is fueled by the values of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and continuous learning.
At Caledonia Spirits we believe diversity makes us better. For us, it is not just about being an Equal Opportunity Employer, which we are proud to be. It is about inviting different experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives to our work; and making conscious efforts to reach out to candidates who can bring different ideas and perspectives to what we do and create together.
So we invite passionate people, committed to excellence, to join our team. We welcome applicants of all races, religions, colors, national origins or places of birth, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, genders, gender identities, and abilities. We welcome those who have served our country. We invite you to make our team richer and better. If you are interested in applying, please email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more company information, please visit our website at www.caledoniaspirits.com.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities reflect the essential functions of the position, but do not restrict the assignment of additional tasks. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collaborate and work in a professional manner with the entire Front of House staff.
- Staff the kitchen and bar as scheduled and provide excellent service according to company standards, techniques and protocols outlined in all FOH manuals.
- Support all functions of the bar/kitchen to execute menu items in a timely manner by following established recipes and service standards, while using a variety of small kitchen appliances.
- Execute all Opening & Closing procedures, prep lists, sidework, mise en place, stocking and inventory as directed and outlined.
- Follow and maintain all established Steps of Service and hospitality guidelines when interacting with guests.
- Maintain flexibility during busy and peak hours of operation to ensure a smooth service for guests and team and provide flexibility to support food running and bussing tables as needed.
- Perform housekeeping tasks as required to maintain a high-level of cleanliness, order and safety in the front-of-house spaces, including the bar, kitchen, retail space, customer bathrooms and outdoor guest areas.
- Assist in monitoring and assessing safety within the bar/kitchen and front-of-house spaces and consult with the senior staff or other management to effectively respond to and proactively address safety concerns according to proper/established protocol.
- Operate within health and safety guidelines and Vermont DLC compliance requirements.
- Respond to customer or team concerns with respect and with the intent to fully resolve the issue(s) of concern; report significant issues to management according to established protocol.
- Maintain knowledge of the company’s products, distilling practices, history and share the story of the brand with customers when asked.
- Assist with set-up, clean up, serving, preparing food and other tasks as necessary for on-site and off-site events.
- Complete other projects and perform other duties in support of the company goals and objectives, as requested.
- Openness and willingness to new learning opportunities.
Education and Experience
Required: Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the skills, knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position.
Must be 21+
Preferred: 1 or 2 years’ restaurant experience in kitchen.
Certifications and Licenses
Required: First Aid/CPR certification (within 3 months of hire).
DLC certification (can complete training in house)
Valid Driver’s License
Preferred: ServSafe Certification, Bar Starts
Required Knowledge and Competencies
- Ability to present and maintain a friendly, professional demeanor while at work.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for learning more about craft spirits and cocktails.
- Basic Knowledge of spirits, wine and beer and cooking skills.
- Exceptional customer-service orientation, with the ability to recognize and utilize customer complaints as opportunities to build brand loyalty.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to follow and adhere to instructions, directions and guidance on processes, procedures and practices for bar, kitchen and retail operations.
- Basic math skills and ability to use Point of Sale and other equipment to process cash and credit card payments.
- Ability to read, write, and speak the English language at a level sufficient to understand Vermont’s Liquor Laws and Regulations (per the Vermont DLC).
- Ability to problem-solve with a solutions-oriented approach and to successfully manage and resolve conflict.
- Ability to represent the company and the brand in a professional manner.
- Basic skills with computer equipment and software.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Required to comply with all company policies and safety standards.
- Consistent, predictable presence at work according to assigned shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as scheduled.
- Frequently required to use kitchen equipment and food and beverage preparation and serving tools.
- Frequently required to work in a fast-paced environment and quickly, successfully complete multiple tasks of varying complexity.
- Frequently required to move about and navigate a variety of physical environments, including the bar and other cocktail service spaces (including outdoor service areas), the bar kitchen, retail spaces, and storage rooms.
- Occasional operation of Point of Sale and other equipment to process cash and credit card payments
- Occasional operation of a computer, keyboard, mouse, and other devices.
- Participation in training sessions, presentations and meetings, on- and off-premises.
- Regularly required to lift and transport objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality required: regularly exposed to confidential, non-public information relating to the business.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.