Garde Manger /Line Cook /Pantry Chef
Location: Montpelier, VT
Caledonia Spirits is looking for a Garde Manger/Line Cook/Pantry Chef to prepare and portion food products for final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all menu items. Responsible for kitchen functions including maintaining food inventory, food ordering and receiving, maintenance of quality standards, sanitation and cleanliness, and execution of service. Role reports to the Bar Manager.
Founded by a beekeeper, Caledonia Spirits was built on a vision to connect cocktail culture to agriculture. We are passionate about the spirits we produce, including Barr Hill Gin, America’s Most Awarded Gin. Our work is fueled by the values of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and continuous learning.
At Caledonia Spirits we believe diversity makes us better. For us, it is not just about being an Equal Opportunity Employer, which we are proud to be. It is about inviting different experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives to our work; and making conscious efforts to reach out to candidates who can bring different ideas and perspectives to what we do and create together.
We invite passionate people, committed to excellence, to join our team. We welcome applicants of all races, religions, colors, national origins or places of birth, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, genders, gender identities, and abilities. We welcome those who have served our country. We invite you to make our team richer and better.
Key Functions and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities reflect the essential functions of the position, but do not restrict the assignment of additional tasks. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Caledonia Spirits.
- Inspect, clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure food is stored and cooked to proper temperature by regulating the oven, fryer, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Knows and complies consistently with standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the quality of products served.
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Manage inventory and purchasing of all food products and supplies.
- Season and cook food according to recipes and experience.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Substitute for or assist others when needed.
- Close the kitchen following designated procedures.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the Bar.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Consult with the Bar Manager to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
- Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff.
- Knowledge of point of sale software.
If you are interested in applying for our Garde Manger/Line Cook/Pantry Chef role, please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. For more company information, please visit our website at www.caledoniaspirits.com.